The Power of Fathers



The power of fathers is something that goes unmatched in this world. Like mothers have an unmeasurable force in this world, so do fathers. And society tries to tell us that they don’t. Fathers are so influential in our lives that statistically in a home without a father suicide rates, and delinquency increases, girls become more promiscuous at a very young age, children are less likely to go to college, and the list continues. So then why the heck does society make it seem like men are optional? Masculinity is under attack which to me is an interesting concept. When masculinity is under attack, so is femininity because now women are expected to take on the roles of men and be just like them. Men and women are separate, but equal. They have equally important roles in the home and equally important roles in their children’s lives, so why now is there such an issue with fatherhood and the lack thereof?
            When did work start? All the way back at Adam and Eve. They were in the Garden of Eden, and once they were cast out of the Garden, they were to take care of, and replenish the earth. As time went on, they had a family, and their family had families, and everyone worked together to till the ground, grow the food needed to survive, tend the livestock, hunt, gather, and do all of the necessary things. They did all of these things together as families. As they did this together, it led to time spent together. As most of these activities took up most of their days, I can’t imagine there was much room for bickering and fighting about who did less work than who. Everyone knew what they had to do, and I can only imagine that they did it while they talked with each other. I sincerely hope they talked, played games, and grew closer together through the work they had done together. As time went on, and in recent history, we read touching stories of pioneers working together, sharing memorable, and cherished experiences with each other though the times they were experiencing were hard. But they worked together, and they made it fun. They valued each other and the work they did.
            So, what happened then to cause this sudden shift where families are no longer able to work together and spend their days with one another? That’s right! The industrial revolution. With the industrial revolution and new technologies being created, people had to leave their homes in order to move to the city to have better paying jobs to support their families; namely the husbands. This is where we see the family unit beginning to separate and as time goes on, almost everyone in the family at one point or another has to leave it in order to make the money needed to survive.
            Fast forward to today. Unfortunately, for most of us, that looks like dad being gone all day, or all week, or maybe for a month, or maybe even months at a time. We live in a world that has made men and fathers seem like they’re an option. They’re not. My father has taught me valuable things that no one else has been able to teach me. He taught me that it was fun to play in the mud and work the in the garage. He taught me that even though they’re real slimy, gosh darn it its fun to go fishin’. I know I can beat just about anyone in setting up a tent or making a fire. He taught me that it’s okay if I fall and scrape my knee, that just means I get back up and try again. He taught me that if I’m going to do something, I’m going to work hard on it. He taught me that I may not know what on earth I’m doing, or where I’m going, but that’s okay, and it’ll be okay, and I’ll get there no matter what. He taught me that no matter, what, I can do what ever I decide to do.
So, thanks dad. Thanks, dad, for all of that and so much more. Love ya.

Comments